A little better maybe

Sunday, 13 October 2013

Nil Embonpoint! Jerri

I had planned to try and make this dress
 using this fabric
 to be completed before 12/10/13.

But I realised that I was not going to have enough time or patience to do a decent job.  So instead, I finished this Mrs Depew vest, made out of the offcuts from the circle skirt        

 and put it together with the skirt 

 and wore the outfit complete with B.A.P (Bob the Afro Puff), the belt and a little handbag made using the scraps of the scraps.


The 18 Y O says I look kind of Anime.  I'm thinking more Jetson family! I only hope Mrs Depew approves.

More pictures

Bride and 18 Y O
 Crispy, real name something else, gave me a T-shirt and a strappy empire waist sundress and told me to make them into a dress she wanted to wear.  This is the result.

I cut the shirt to length just under the bra line, plus 2cm, cut the sun bit off the top of the dress and sewed them together with a generous 2cm seam.

'So happy with my dress; I received many complements'

Usual wedding picture
Me again.  The expression on my face? These shoes are too tight!

Crispy and the 18 Y O on a 77 bus to Clapham Junction
More soon.

Saturday, 21 September 2013

African Print(ess)

Vintage Sewing Pattern 1956 Dress PDF Plus Size (or any size)  - Pattern No 21 Jerri

 I got this dress pattern ages ago, intending to make it for a wedding.  It's Jerri21 from Embonpoint patterns on EtsyUK.
 I decided that it would be best made in an African print.   I wanted something that would kind of go with this
 £2.50, car boot sale jacket.

   I found this design

in a shop in Tooting called Sovereign Textiles, 113 Mitcham Road, SW17.
They sell a lot of their fabrics in 6, 12 and 24 yard lengths and I got this 6 yard length for £15. 

This is the beginning of my journey through an Embonpoint pattern.

Print the ruler and Pattern

I edited out the numbers
Gather supplies for cutting and sticking
Trim the printed ruler 
Print side down
cover back with Gaffer tape x 4 layers

Trim Gaffer tape
cover r.s. with clear tape, 2 layers

then I aligned the printed tape with my tape measure

I used small clips to hold the tapes firm, ready for

 Rivet Setter


It was only after I'd gone through all the palaver that I remembered that I had a stapler. Grrrr!

I'll be making two very simple skirts for two girls this weekend.  The wedding is not till October so hopefully I'm  leaving myself enough time to do a decent job.  I'll post more on the subject of this dress as it progresses,  If it progresses.


Monday, 16 September 2013

Pink and Purple

I would usually baulk a the thought of wearing pink and purple in the same outfit. Or just wearing pink or purple.  But when I saw this fabric in my local car boot sale, it looked suitably ethnic for me to make me a Mandarin collar, v-neck, short sleeved, loose, no dart, bias cut tunic.
Some pictures

I gave the shoe the meanest look I could muster

Still too tight!

It's an OK garment, not fancy or even the best fitting but I love it! I wanna make some more; one in an African fabric, one bias cut black crepe,  maybe a ponte one...........

What's black and white and makes a lot of noise?
a panda with a drumkit!

Friday, 13 September 2013


I made a few dresses for Crispy. Her name is something like Christina but as far as I know, everyone calls her Crispy. She has a few of them now in various lengths but always the same style; mandarin collar, v-neck, short sleeved, loose, no dart, tunic style. she gave me one of the originals and asked me if I could replicate it, so I gave it  try.  They all come in African prints and although she has about 6 of them already, she wants more.  After I made the 1st one, I tried it on and wanted my own, I liked it so much.

When I got hold of this fabric,
this is the inside, people, 
for £1.50 ( I was robbed!) at my local car boot sale, I knew what I wanted to do with it.  There is just about 3m of it in length but I didn't measure across. After washing and preparing it, I discovered this!
just too narrow for the pattern.
 I had cut the last one of Crispy's dresses on the bias after using this method from Threads Magazine June/July 2003.  I could never remember the actual mag so I made myself a very rough guide so I wouldn't have to trawl through all my mags each time!

following pictures not in order
somewhere in the middle of the process
ironing involved
preparation for the final seam
working out which seam goes where

the width I need and the length I want
final cut, about 2mm of the bottom
pattern fits, inches to spare. rubbish picture, sigh!
I'll be making it up next week.