A little better maybe

Thursday, 6 June 2013

Mission: Project Aborted!

I was going to make one of these

From this old Burda


I made 3 of these over the years, but had to give them away as I got smaller.  I made a soft blue cotton one, a peach Georgette and a flowery Chiffon. Anyway, I lost this crinkle embroidery Georgette that I bought for the occasion. 
                       That's what happens when you put things away.
 

I ended up instead, looking at this pattern 
                              

from this Burda,

and did a quick make instead, just to make myself feel better.

 

It is a very quick make, only a few pieces; Front, Back, Casing, Sleeve-things and the long Belt/Tie.  (As I was pulling the fabric inside out for the belt, I slipped and bashed myself in the face).  I wore it to school next day and received 4 compliments!  I must say, I don't like it very much! It would have been better had I a figure. I loved making it as it was so simple. 

I'm going to do the blog thing!


WAS IT EASY TO MAKE?

YES. I disregarded the instructions - it's almost self explanatory.  I'm not gonna show any stitch details although, it is pretty good - you'll just have to trust that what I say is true.

DID IT LOOK LIKE THE PICTURE?

NO! and YES! Off, it looks like the pattern but on, no! But that's because I have no figure to speak of.

WOULD I MAKE IT AGAIN?

YES, KIND OF!  I 'm going to, one day, make this version 
because it has the caftan look around the sleeve/sides, which was what I wanted in the first place.

WHAT DID I LIKE ABOUT THIS PATTERN?

It's very easy and I imagine you can get a lot of wear  on many occasions if you think about the fabric more carefully than I did.

FABRIC CHOICE

One I had in my stash from a second hand place called Posh Junk in Mitcham.
It was 45" wide with colourful tulips on a navy background. I didn't want to be bothered with too much pattern matching;  I had about 2.5m. I managed to use about 2m.


I then found my fabric - if you got this far you've seen it - and it's been cut out and is ready for marking and interfacing!  Hopefully, I'll have a new two-piece dress by next Tuesday! I'm going to have to take my time on this one; my fingers are a little numb these days and the fine fabric's a little difficult to manoeuvre at the best of times but, as I say, I'm a-gonna-take-me-time.

Teacher: What is a forum?
Pupil: A two-um plus a two-um!




1 comment: